Recycle your devices on America Recycles Day
America Recycles Day is a national observance dedicated to promoting recycling nationwide. The day originally started on November 15, 1994 in Texas but by 1999 it was published and signed to be a national observance. Each year this day serves as a reminder of the vital role recycling plays in maintaining a sustainable future. While many people are aware of the importance of recycling paper, plastic, and glass, one aspect that often gets overlooked is the recycling of electronics.
Why Recycling Electronics Matters
E-waste continues to be the fastest growing waste stream with the world generating 53.6 million tons of e-waste (United Nations). Globally, the World Economic Forum estimates that we’ll produce around 81.6 million tons of e-waste yearly by 2030.
- Toxic Components: Electronics contain hazardous materials like lead, mercury, and cadmium that can contaminate the environment and pose serious health risks when left in landfills.
- Valuable Resources: Electronic devices also contain valuable materials like gold, silver, and rare earth metals. Recycling these materials conserves resources and reduces the need for environmentally harmful mining.
- Energy Savings: Recycling electronics saves significant amounts of energy compared to manufacturing new products from raw materials. It also reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
- E-Waste is Growing: The proliferation of electronic devices means e-waste is a fast-growing problem. According to the United Nations, the world produced 53.6 million metric tons of e-waste in 2019, with only 17.4% being collected and recycled.
- Legal and Ethical Obligations: Many states and countries have implemented e-waste recycling laws to ensure proper disposal. Recycling electronics not only benefits the environment but also helps you comply with these regulations.
Become part of the solution!
There are several ways you can help right here at home:
- Never throw an old and unused electronic device in the trash
- Always recycle your old devices
- Reduce the number of devices you use
- Recycle your old electronics with MCPC
America Recycles Day serves as a timely reminder that we all play a role in conserving our planet’s resources and reducing waste. By recycling our electronics responsibly, we not only protect the environment but also support a greener, more sustainable future. This November 15th, join MCPC and the Cleveland Cavs for an e-recycling event at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. Together, we can work toward a more sustainable, eco-friendly future.
For more information about MCPC and the Cleveland Cavalier’s e-recycling event, visit https://www.mcpc.com/insights/events/cavs-recycle/